Lies being taught;
England united India but looted and destroyed it.
Now the truth;-
Before 322 BC India was governed by hundreds of small kings. Chanakya had a vision to see unified India (then called it as Bharat) as one strong nation which can defend itself from all foreign invasions. He united the country as one nation under one flag under King Chandragupta Maurya. Under Mauryan Empire 322 BC to 185 BC, with its Capital at Patliputra (Patna, Bihar), India stretched to the north along the natural boundaries of the Himalayas, extended from Bengal and Assam in the east, to the west it extended beyond Pakistan, Khorasan, Balochistan Afghanistan including the modern Herat and Kandahar provinces, eastern and south-east Iran in the west, to the Indian Ocean in the south. The Maurya Empire was one of the world's largest empires in its time and the largest ever in the Indian subcontinent. The Empire was expanded into India's central and southern regions by the emperors Chandragupta and by his son Bindusara, but it excluded a small portion of unexplored tribal and forested regions near Kalinga (modern Odisha). In about 260 BCE King Ashoka waged a bitterly destructive war against the state of Kalinga (modern Odisha). He conquered Kalinga which reportedly had resulted in more than 100,000 deaths and 150,000 deportations. Legend says that one day after the war was over, Ashoka ventured out to roam the city and all he could see were burnt houses and scattered corpses. This sight made him sick and he cried the famous monologue:
“What have I done? If this is a victory, what's a defeat then? Is this a victory or a defeat? Is this justice or injustice? Is it gallantry or a rout? Is it valor to kill innocent children and women? Did I do it to widen the empire and for prosperity or to destroy the other's kingdom and splendor? One has lost her husband, someone else a father, someone a child, someone an unborn infant.... What's this debris of the corpses? Are these marks of victory or defeat? Are these vultures, crows, eagles the messengers of death or evil?"
And laid down arms for good.
This was followed by Gupta Empire from 320 AD to 550 AD with its Capital at Patliputra (Patna, Bihar). Gupta period is also known as golden period of India. This period is called the Golden Age of India and was marked by extensive inventions and discoveries in science, technology, engineering, art, dialectic, literature, logic, mathematics, astronomy, religion and philosophy that crystallized the elements of what is generally known as Hindu culture. Chandra Gupta I, Samudra Gupta the Great, and Chandra Gupta II the Great were the notable rulers of the Gupta dynasty. The 4th century CE Sanskrit poet Kalidasa credits Guptas with having conquered about twenty one kingdoms, both in and outside India, including the kingdoms of Parasikas (Persia), the Hunas, the Kambojas, tribes located in the west and east Oxus valleys, the Kinnaras, Kiratas etc.
The high points of this cultural creativity are magnificent architecture, sculptures and paintings. The Gupta period produced scholars such as Kalidasa, Aryabhata, Varahamihira, Vishnu Sharma and Vatsyayana who made great advancements in many academic fields. Science and political administration reached new heights during the Gupta era.
Here are some benefits of English Rule over India.
1) India was reunited by England.
2) Modern Roads were build by England.
3) Railways were built by England. An argument is raised that rail and roads were built by England to ferry their goods. So why in independent India we have not developed rail roads. Simla line was built in 1908; it is still where it was in 1908. They invested more in India then they took from it. England had made blue prints for entire rail network in India. In 60 years we have gone more backward than forward.
4) Power generation and Electricity supply system is built by England. Electricity. Prior we had no electricity. All the electricity that India has till now prior to 6 year rule of right wing government was based on Blue prints made by England. whether it was Bhakra Dam or others.
5) Water supply and sewerage system is built by England.
6)Modern Hospitals and healthcare dispensaries were established by England along with major vaccines of the time.
7) No Poverty. In 1947, there was no beggar and none died of hunger. Now we see beggars everywhere and we need food security Act. When Gandhi fought for independence India was unfed, unclothed. After 60 years of self rule if we visit Rajasthan, Orissa, Central India or South India we are still unfed, unclothed. Teeming millions with no sense of driving, talking, most of the government servants come off families which have not seen enough food on their table and so we top in corruption.
8) Indian Army, Navy, and Air force was established by England.
9) Indian postal system was built by the England.
10) Sati system was abolished by the England
11) Major Indian Military, Air force and Naval bases and academies, Army ordinance Factories were built by the England
12) England introduced English language in India which is common
throughout India. No other language is spoken throughout India. India has hundreds of different languages.
13) Modern Bridges which can carry heavy traffic is built by England.
14) Indian laws, System of Judiciary were all made by England. During England we had equality before Law. Now law is nonexistent for influential persons.
15) Democracy is gifted by England. Previously India was under hundreds of monarchs.
16) Indian Administrative service was Established by England.
17) Medical council of India was Established by England.
18) Cricket introduced by England.
19) India Gate and Gateway of India built by England.
20) President’s palace was built by England.
21) Parliament House was built by England.
22) Merit was supreme; 50 years of Congress rule has seen reservations for those who claim themselves backward. In 1947 whereas only some were backward now majority (more than 50%) are backward. In America they also have reservations where such people are kept inside demarcated areas giving them free food and shelter known as reservations). What they need is equal opportunities like free education in modern schools, free health care is already available for poor people and enforcement of one child norm to remove poverty. 50% of government employees are paid / employed to vote for congress, they are not even expected to work.
Negative from Indian perspective are:-
1. Large scale killings of civilians almost 60 million.
2. Opium trade.
3. Looting of gold.
4. Establishment of Christian schools which have destroyed Indian moral values.
5. Education system only creates slaves.
6. Indian Administrative service that does anything but administration.
Prior to coming of England, there were peasants and kings.